I’ve just added a comment to Danny’s “Translator exchange for open projects” LazyWeb entry, asking for additional translations of the FOAF-a-Matic. Having a simple bulletin board like this is a great idea. Here’s hoping that it gets some more linkage and pulls in more project requests and translators offering their services.
I’ve already followed-up Diane Panek’s offering of Filipino/Tagalog translation. And, if you’re a dufus like me, then you’ll be interested to know that Tagalog is “…the second most commonly-spoken Asian language (after Chinese) in the United States, and the sixth non-English language spoken in America“. More information available here.
I’ve also had a nice email from Minsu Jang who has offered me a Korean version of the FOAF-a-Matic. I’ve mailed Minsu with instructions, which basically boil down to translating this file.
For the techies out there, here’s some details about how I generate a new version of the application…
The FOAF-a-Matic application has been broken down into a simple XML template. This is basically a well-formed HTML version of the original page with all of the fixed test replaced with elements from a template language I made up. Basically there’s one element for each block of text, e.g.
fmt:introduction. There are also field tags (
fmt:field) which identify a particular form field.
The text for a specific language version of the application is stored in a separate document, e.g. en.xml. These files just tag up the various blocks of text and fields. Passing one of these file, plus the main page template to this XSLT transformation will generate an HTML version of the application with all the text substituted in the correct locations.
The two stage process is controlled by a simple Ant build script. This could probably do with being tidied up a little.